Friday, October 12, 2018

Frugal Vegan Broth

We are low income. I have an old friend who thinks I should write a book on frugality/money saving tips. I am just doing what I can to allow us to breath a little easier.

Today’s project is broth-making. I make broth every few months, on years that we don’t compost - that’s because broth is made from scraps. So for the last couple of months, every time I cut or trim veggies I add those scraps to a freezer bag....I had a collection of 3 full gallon-sized bags in our freezer, so I decided it was time to make broth. The scraps include: carrot sweet potato peels and potato peels, trimmings from tomatoes, asparagus, onions, scallions, garlic, bell & jalapeƱo peppers, garlic scapes, cabbage, mushrooms, herbs and I’m sure a few other veg I am forgetting. I’ll also add things like miso (this time dried soup packets), nutritional yeast, seaweed sheets, and mushroom powder....it varies to what’s available in our kitchen.

I place these in my largest stock pot (ours is big enough that it’s an awkward fit on our stovetop) and fill it up with water...I’ll add a Tbsp of ginger paste and garlic/chili paste and 3 heaping spoons of the paste leftover from making Master Tonic/Fire Cider*** and kale flakes bring to a boil, then simmer for H O U R S, adding water as needed. I make it on a day when I know I’ll be home and not too busy. In the evening, I cool it down and freeze it in muffin tins....full size muffin tins makes it easier for adding to recipes.



***Since cooler weather & cold/flu season is approaching, I’ll do a post with my particular Master Tonic recipe. It’s a immune boosting mix of veg/herbs/fruit steeped in ACV...you take a couple of tablespoons when you feel a germ coming on and it helps you avoid or shortens the length. Our family has used this Home Remedy for years and most of us swear by it.

No comments: