Saturday, December 15, 2007

Vegan Mock Duck Fry Up


Days and dishes like these make me wonder why omnivores think we are missing so much? This was a satisfying, in a comfort-food way, and cruelty-free lunch :) The picture really doesn't do it justice. Trust me, try it.

Ingredients
1 10 oz. can of mock duck (vegan, from an Asian market, the one I used was WuChung) with a bit of the can 'juices'
1 potato, halved and thinly sliced
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
Large pat vegan margarine
1 tsp flour
2 Tbsp red cooking wine
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 tsp dried basil
1 Tbsp dried oregano

Heat large skillet to med-hi. Add pat of margarine. Throw in the potatoes, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened. Add mock duck and a splash of the can 'juice', scrape up any bits from the veggies. Add spices. Once heated through, push 'duck' and veggies to the side. Add the flour (I use whole wheat) and whisk with a fork till smooth. Whisk in red wine and cook until thickened. Serve :)

Note- my measurements for flour/spices are approx. Go by feel with the flour, you just want enough to thicken the fluids to a sauce for your dish. I don't usually use measuring spoons, unless I am baking or making something complicated.

This made a large lunch for two.

No comments: