Sunday, December 16, 2007

Vegan Orchard Crisp



This is a recipe I got online, I cannot find it now :(. I thought it was on the postpunkkitchen forum, but have not found it again...If you email me I will get rid of the recipe and just post the link :) I actually only made 2/3 of the original recipe (so this is smaller than original), but it filled a deep dish pie pan abundantly. Sorry for the crappy pics. Using my cellphone cam, because my mom borrowed my digicam.















Vegan
Orchard Crisp

filling-

2 pears, cored/peeled/sliced thin
1 1/2 apples, cored/peeled/sliced thin
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar **see note
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch

topping-

2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup vegan margarine, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 375F
Mix together filling ingredients, tossing to coat the fruits. Spread in deep dish pie pan.
Mix dry topping ingredients and cut in the margarine. Mix with hands until at a "pea crumb" consistency. Spread evenly over fruit. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

A Note about sugar for non-veg*ans: Some sugars are filtered through charred animal bone before they go in the bag, making them non-vegetarian and non-vegan. Look for the phrase "evaporated cane juice" for a sugar that has not been through this process, aditionally, below is a list of safe sugars from Vegan Products & Standards.

A List of safe brands- (from here)

Crystal Sugar
Florida Crystals
Spreckles
Holly Sugar
Pioneer Sugar
Siucra
Big Chief
Jack Frost
Country Cane
4# Flow-Sweet
Supreme
Southern Bell
Rouse's Market
Sugar in the Raw

No comments: